On November 24, 2008, I celebrated 41 years of life on this earth. Wow, as I look back I wonder, “Where has the time gone?” And it seems the older I get the faster the clock ticks on by (perhaps you can relate!). It seems like it was just a couple of weeks ago I was out playing in the woods at my clubhouse with my sister and neighborhood friends. It seems about a week and a half ago I was getting my driver’s license. It seems about a week ago that I graduated from high school. It seems just four days ago I was graduating from college and then only three days ago I was getting married to the best looking young lady in the world—my best friend, Shelley! And it seems like only yesterday that I was holding my newborn babies in my arms. Of course, today Haley is 12, Lauren is 9, Emily is 5, and Sarah is 4.
On January 13, Emily celebrated her 5th birthday. People who see Emily say she looks too little to be five, and I agree. It seems just like yesterday that our family was in China to pick up Emily. I believe our entire family (except Sarah) recalls that moment when we saw Emily for the first time. She was only two when I held her in my arms for the very first time. Now, three years have passed and that little baby is growing up! Where does the time go?
Time is ticking away! At times I have wondered if time ticks by faster the older you get, but I have come to realize that it does not! The clock keeps on ticking at the same pace and with it, minutes, then hours tick right on by and the years on the calendars keep increasing ever so quickly. Too often we have so much on our plates that we can’t slow down long enough to enjoy the moments we are given by our eternal God!
With the realization that our time is ticking away comes an important reminder...time on this earth is short. James reminds us... For you are a bit of smoke that appears for a little while, then vanishes (4:14). We’re here today, but what about tomorrow? No matter our age, may we give serious thought to the brevity of this life and live our lives with eternity in view.
This week may we remember that the lives of those we come into contact with are quickly passing by and because of this reality may we take a God-given opportunity to shine the light and love of Jesus!
No comments:
Post a Comment