Saturday, September 1, 2012

A Reminder While On Vacation

I love family vacation! It is always great to get away with family just to rest, relax, and have fun together. Our family recently spent ten days in Gulf Shores, Alabama. We had a lot of fun swimming, riding the waves, collecting sea shells, building sand castles, hunting hermit crabs, eating good food, and just hanging out together. We made a lot of great memories! (see pictures below)

While on vacation, two experiences reminded me just how fast time slips away. The first experience occurred one evening when our family made a short trek to the local outlet mall. While my wife and two oldest daughters went shopping, my two youngest daughters and I went to the toy store to look around. While walking the aisles, tears began to come to my eyes. It seemed just like yesterday that my wife and I were buying toys for our little girls—toys that they are now too old to enjoy.

The second experience occurred that same evening while our family was taking a walk along the beach. I was following behind the girls when I noticed they had stopped for a minute, huddling around something in the sand. As I approached, my youngest daughter, Sarah, was placing her foot in the footprint that my oldest daughter, Haley, had made. Sarah’s foot was almost as big as Haley’s! Although I have noticed that my two youngest, Sarah and Emily, are growing up, this experience confirmed it and came as a surprise of just how big my little girls are getting. 

Reflecting back on these two experiences, two verses come to mind. The first comes from Solomon: “Behold, children are a heritage from the LORD, the fruit of the womb a reward” (Psalm 127:3). God has blessed me with sweet girls. Each one of them are unique and special. They are each a blessing to me and I love them so much. I am learning to treasure them more and more with each passing day.

The second comes from the Apostle Paul, “Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of the time, because the days are evil'” (Ephesians 5:15-16). Realizing that time is slipping away, as a dad, I must be wise and make the best use of the time I have with my girls. Realizing that the days are evil I must continually take time to teach the truths of God’s Word to my girls, instilling God’s truth in practical ways.

If you are a parent, I believe you would agree that time is slipping away. Your children are growing up fast so don’t miss out on the treasure that God has given you. I challenge you to be wise and make the best use of the time you have with your children. Invest time with them. Build memories with them. Have fun together. Laugh a lot. I also challenge you to instill the Word of God into your child’s life. Whether at the dinner table, at their bedside, riding along in a car together, or even taking a long walk along the seashore, take the time to teach your children the Word of God. Your children need wisdom that only comes from God’s Word to face the many challenges they will face in this life.

Here are a few pictures from our vacation…

488

223

IMG_1370

531

351

109

IMG_1271

419

452

598

No comments: